Friday, September 23, 2005

Psycho???

So...I bought some maternity clothes from an elderly lady (who was selling them for her daughter) who had an ad in the paper. I bought them for $2-$3 a piece for a total of $25. This was about a month ago. Well yesterday afternoon, I had a message from her: "Zandra, this is Irene, whom sold you the maternity clothes. I can't believe what you did to me! You wrote me a bad check and now I'm out the $25 plus the bank is charging me $33! I can't believe you would do such a rotten thing!!!" Wow, hostile? I felt immediate anger to think that someone would think I am a bad person and would bounce a check on purpose! Like I am some kind of con artist who writes $25 bad checks all over town and never plans to pay! Besides, my bank charges me $23 in fees for a returned check as well! So, I went up to the bank and pulled out cash, and planned to mail her the money with a little note saying: "Sorry I am such a rotten person, and just so you know, I don't enjoy bouncing checks." Well, after my appointment last night, I had yet another message from lovely Irene: "Brandon or Zandra, I haven't heard from you yet! And just so you know, I called the bank and they said you have to pay me the $25 plus the $8 fee (totaling $33)...and if I don't hear from you within the next couple days, I will be calling my lawyer!" Um, you would think she'd have better things to do, wouldn't you? Does she really think I feel threatened by a lawyer over a $33 financial matter? Poor old lady, but I still couldn't help it...my blood was boiling! So, I tore up my simple little note, and wrote her this letter: "Irene, I feel such pity for you that you think the world is such an awful place. Believe me, I don't enjoy bouncing checks and it was not something I had planned to do. I never intended to upset you in any way. I am a very honest person, and when I found out my check had bounced, I pulled out the cash to pay for the clothes as well as your bank fees. I am sorry that you feel I am such a "rotten" person. Also, I "appreciate" you threatening me with your lawyer over such a small financial matter. In the future, if you should come in to a situation like this again, please treat the person respectfully and assume they might have made an honest mistake. I pray that you have better things going on in your life than to think a poor young pregnant lady is out to get you. Thank you, Zandra". So how did that sound? I mailed it right away, so hopefully she'll get it tomorrow! When I got home from shopping with my Mom today, I saw she had called again, but this time no message...I almost feel as though I am being stocked!

2 comments:

Aud*2020 said...

HA! Nice revision. I think I might have added, "I will pray that you get a life before your time is up."

It happens to the best of us, but I can imagine how you must have felt!

Kristal Sawyer said...

Oh my goodness...what a MEAN OLD LADY! Seriously, do people not have anything better to do with their time???