Monday, January 23, 2006

My New Best Friend

My new best friend is Stevia. It is a an alternative to sugar, but unlike Equal or Sweet n Low, it is all natural. Zero carbs, zero calories, and zero gycemic index. It is about 300 times sweeter than sugar, so you don't need much! I am still experimenting with using it, but so far I really like it. I've used it to make hot chocolate, pancakes, smoothies, and I've added it to my cereal. I got a cook book for it too, so hopefully I'll be experimenting in there soon too. Kerri was the only one who shared some recipes with me, so the rest of you out there are not doing your job! Go get me some yummy low-sugar recipes!

We had Brandon's mom, Jan's birthday this week. Everyone came over to our house for sub sandwiches and presents. It was just a little celebration since we had already gone out to see the Lion King for her birthday also. Then on Saturday, it was my girlfriend, Nikki's bridal shower. Wow, what an all day process! We got there at 11:00 to set up and decorate and the party started at 1:00. I don't remember what time it ended, but after clean up, we were driving home at 4:30! It was such a fun day, though. And Nikki was just glowing! I definitely blew my diet that day!!! Candy, cake, and other treats were lurking about every corner I turned...I could not escape!

My smoothie recipe (which Rae is enjoying in the pictures below):
1/4 cup yogurt
2 Tbsp soy protein powder
2 Tbsp flax seed
1/2 packet powdered Stevia
4 Spinach leaves
2 Tbsp almond butter
Frozen fruit mix: 1/2 banana, 3 strawberries, about 5 each of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk (or to desired consistency)

I read on another blog that adding spinach leaves to your smoothie does not alter the flavor, just adds a bit of green. I was nervous about this, but it turns out to be true! And with all the dark fruits I add, you can't even see the green either. Simply devine!

1 comment:

Hotshot's Wife said...

Ok Zandra!! Just because you're pregnant doesn't give you the excuse of not posting for days and days!! What's up with that girlfriend???? And you lecture me (he he he he he)