Just wanted to post about my prenatal appointment yesterday. I have lots more to post about my crazy weekend, but I'll do that later. Anyways, my mom had the day off so she was able to go with me and Raegann to the appointment. My Midwife, Diane, did all the normal measurements and stuff. My belly measured 32 weeks, she said the baby is head down (which she has been for quite a while) and her back is toward my back. She said that babies don't lay that way as often, so I am measuring smaller because there are no shoulders or bottom popping out. I think maybe that's how Raegann was since everyone thought I'd have a small or average size baby and out popped a 9 1/4 pounder!
After talking to me and my mom about our previous labor experiences...she said that I have to call her as soon as pre-labor starts. My mom, with my brother, thought she was having indigestion first thing in the morning, sat down to go to the bathroom, and boom! Her water broke. That was 7 am. Ryan was born at 9 am! And for me with Raegann, I started actual labor at midnight and Raegann was born at 3:10 am. That includes the 30 min of pushing. So she's guessing that I'll be in actual labor for one hour, and only have to push like once or twice!
Then she checked to see how "ready" I was. I am 75% effaced. I don't really remember what that means, so let me look it up real quick...Okay, here's what I found:
"What is effacement?
Effacement is the process by which the cervix prepares for delivery. After the baby has engaged in the pelvis, it gradually drops closer to the cervix; the cervix gradually softens, shortens and becomes thinner. You may hear phrases like "ripens," or "cervical thinning" which refer to effacement.
How is effacement measured?
Effacement is measured in percentages. For example, your doctor or midwife may tell you that you are effaced 50%, which means you are half way to being completely effaced. When you are 100% effaced or completely effaced, your cervix is paper-thin and labor is right around the corner.
How will I know if and when I am effaced?
In your final weeks of pregnancy your caregivers will routinely check for effacement, and as soon as you arrive at the hospital, you will be checked for effacement. If you are a first time mom, your cervix will efface before it dilates. If you are a second time mom, your cervix will dilate before effacement."
And she said I was soft (?) but that the cervix is still totally closed. She said I look right on target for my due date.
Then we made our next appointment. It is in two weeks, and this time will be at my house. She wants everyone there who I want to be there for the birth. We are having a "rehersal"! She just wants to go over everyone's roles because she doesn't want me to have to think about that and ask people to do this or that while I am in labor and not able to think. So someone for Raegann duty, someone for camera duty, someone for video duty, someone to rub my feet, etc...
Anyways, this appointment got me all pumped up about meeting our little Kamryn! I can't believe how close she is! Which reminds me, I still have a lot of house cleaning to do!!!!!!!!
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago

4 comments:
How exciting! I can only imagine how you must feel if I feel this excited for you:) Make sure you keep posting so we know what's going on. BTW - I love the name Kamryn. Love ya'
i'm so excited for you, too! wow, it really is right around the corner, isn't it? i really really hope you won't be overdue.
Oh, exciting news! How wonderful to have a rehersal. And thank you for the little lesson, I never knew what effaced meant either.
-Amylee :)
I learn so much from you! Things sounds like they are going great and I am really excited for you guys. Keep posting and I can't wait to hear about the crazy weekend!
love ya and miss ya!
Post a Comment