Monday, August 07, 2006

Help! I Love Food!

I am at the hardest part of my diet: getting started. What do I do? How do I do it? I am not looking for a pity party, but honestly, I want to cry when I look in the mirror. I know, I know, everyone is gonna say "You look great...you just had a baby." Blah, blah, blah. Well, I don't think I've even lost one single pound, and I don't even recognize myself when I look in the mirror anymore. Anyways, this is what my fridge consists of:
Cheesecake
Eclairs
Cookie Dough
Push Ups
Popsicles
Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Chocolate Chips
Coconut Creamer (which I randomly take a swig of throughout the day - it is delicious)

My pantry:
Fruity Pebbles
Cocoa Pebbles
Cap'N Crunch
Brownie Mix
Cake Mix
Chips, Chips, Chips
Margarita Mix

So I guess the answer is clear. I need to overhaul my fridge and pantry. They definitely need a makeover. A few more fresh fruits and veggies maybe? But a handful of chocolate chips does hit that sweet spot when you have a craving...hmm...What to do, what to do...O, where o where is that will power I need?

On another note...well, not entirely...it still has to do with food...here is a delicious recipe I've been wanting to share - Watermelon Mango Salsa - great for the summer time! Serve with Tortilla chips, or grilled chicken or fish.

One Small Watermelon (about the size of a volleyball) or 1/2 Large cut into 1 inch cubes
4 Mangos cut into small chunks
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 Japaleno (more or less depending on desired heat)
1 bunch fresh cilantro
3 green onions
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Garlic Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Reserve one handful of watermelon chunks. Put mango, bell pepper and remaining watermelon into large bowl. Add remaining ingredients (including reserved handful of watermelon - smash this first to add liquid to the mix) to food processor or blender and blend together (do not liquify - leave just slightly chunky). Add to watermelon mix in large bowl and toss together. Enjoy!

6 comments:

heidi said...

oh, that is so hard. and yes, you DO look great for having just had a baby! once you get it all together and figure out something that works, you're gonna have to be my own personal diet coach in 5 months.
i'll call you this afternoon re. sunday & something else :)

Hotshot's Wife said...

Hey Zandra.
Ok I'm not an expert but speaking from 110 pounds of experience here's my thoughts. Find a picture of yourself when you were at a lower weight, then take a picture of yourself now. Put them on your fridge and promise yourself that you will NOT look like the heavier picture. It worked for me.
Also:
NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS!!!
I'd be happy to give you a pep talk when you need one!!
Love ya
Trisha

PS- Remember you have 2 kids now, and you look great for 2 kids!!

Jennifer said...

dicipline as to diet choices...comes and goes in stages of motivation for me

Anonymous said...

Hi Zandra! Well, it *must* be hereitary because you know what a problem I've had with my weight almost all my life and even worse now that I'm post-menopausal!!! I think your mom has some good weight loss/contol strategies, but my problem is I get tired of a diet too soon! I just joined Weight Watchers and I'm hoping the support will help incredibly. I'm using the points system, so when I eat all my points for the day, then there's no more food. I have to eat healthy though, because of my low blood sugar. Also, I'm cheating a little with some help from Hoodia. My doctor told me though, not to stay on Hoodia for more than 60 days. Tomorrow night is my first weigh-in so I hope I've lost st least a couple pounds! Good luck with your dieting! Love, Aunt Janette

Meredith said...

I have no advice to offer just support and to let you know that I love food too. It's always something different that works for each different person.
Good luck!

Shannon said...

Regardless of how beautiful I think you (Zandra) are, I do understand wanting the mirror to reflect how you see yourself.

I'll get pictures back and be like "who is that" sigh.

I hear exercise is the key. gosh, who has time for that??!! Wonder if cheesecake is the key? golly I hope so.