Thursday, September 20, 2007

Zucchini and Cubbies

Is it a pregnancy thing, or is fried zucchini really THAT good!?!? Cause for some reason I just can't seem to get enough of the stuff. Tonight marks my third night in a week that I treated myself to the yumminess of deep fried zucchini dipped in homemade buttermilk ranch dressing...mmmm...! Pregnancy is so weird. I mean are all these little nuances for real or is it just in my head? Why can I only drink chilled water now? Why don't I care for any types of meat? I sure can't get enough pickles rolled in creamy Havarti cheese slices. And most of the time I eat Ho.ney Nut Chee.rios for breakfast and dinner.

I had a prenatal appointment on Tuesday, and I got to hear the quick beat of the tiny heart! It felt so good to finally get to hear that sweet sound! My belly measured right on at 15.5 weeks, and every thing else was normal; hemoglobin, urine, blood pressure. I have been feeling that achy pulling sensation that sometimes brings me to tears, and I get a headache nearly every other day. But that's been the worst of it recently. Those little bumps from my little jumping bean have been making me feel so great lately! Nothing else matters...now I'm finally to the wonderful and rewarding part of the pregnancy and hopefully it'll only get better and better.

Yesterday, my girl Rae, started Cubbies in the AWANA program at our church. AWANA stands for: Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed, from 2 Timothy 2:15. I signed up as a volunteer leader since I was and will be unable to leave anyways since she is glued to my side. It is painful to watch the poor girl. You should have seen her face when we first walked up and one of the leaders puts a little stamp on your hand to acknowledge that you've been checked in. She acted like it would be a hot needle stabbing her and she felt like she needed to turn and run. Her face was bright red and had tears forming in her eyes. So I asked for a stamp first and then I had to be the one to give her the stamp. Then we went in. There were about 30 other 3 & 4 year olds and she was just so overwhelmed that she didn't know what to do. I took her to a table with some other girls who were playing My Li.ttle Ponies. She just sat and stared. Then we moved to the coloring table where she did actually do some coloring. When it was time for songs and we all had to filter into another room, she clung to me for dear life. She would not sit with the group of children but rather sat on my lap and stared more. The emotion you could see was fear. Next we took the kids outside to the playground and Rae broke loose there and just tuned out the others. She's a nut for slides. We went back in and had snack and finally by this time she was okay to just hold my hand. And if I had to walk to the other side of the room for a split second, she had her eagle eye on me, but at least she was okay. We were given a cubbies book and then we were dismissed. You should have seen her when we got home. She told daddy all about cubbies like it was the best thing since Disne.yland! Her eyes sparkled as she showed him the book she brought home. She was absolutely thrilled with the experience. Ask anyone there what she thought of it and they would say she hated that torturous program. Ask her and she apparently had the time of her life! She is such an observer. Just watches and takes everything in. Enjoys things on the inside.
This is after we got home, doing her "cheeeese!" face.
(Taken on my phone, since sadly my camera had died.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! I used to do AWANA, I LOVED it!!!

Fried zucchini sounds sooooooooo delicious to me! Do you make it yourself? Do you have pictures? :) However, the dill pickles and cheese, not so much. :)

Jennifer said...

I grill my zuccs.

Demara said...

Rae is so cute! I was in Awanas, I LOVED it, even though I thought the assignments were very difficult. I LOVE zucchini too!!! I can't get enough of it. I think I've only had it deep fried at White Spot though. At home I stir-fry it with teriyaki sauce, yum! And you look very skinny for being pregnant, congratulations!!! :D