Monday, December 18, 2006

Cake and Kammie

So, I thought it was time for a post...I mean, 10 days! Bad blogger! Bad!

I thought I should post a pic of the cake my girlfriend, Sara and I made for Heidi's baby shower. Many of you already saw it on Heidi’s blog, but now it's my turn to share. We have been thinking of starting a cake baking/decorating business and we thought Heidi's shower would be the perfect setting to give it a whirl. So, it turned out pretty good - it tasted great and looked decent. I used to decorate for a few years at Baskin Robbins so I do have a little experience, it's just been a while. Now we just have to build up a portfolio and determine pricing. We are planning on doing a cake for Brandon, Kerri, and Sara's mom all this week. If any of you have any advice or ideas, leave me a comment!

Kamryn will be turning 9 months in about 2 weeks. This will be a big day for her. I have been holding off introducing ANY solid foods so far and have been breastfeeding exclusively. My goal was to wait till 9 months, and we have almost made it! She is going to be thrilled as she already tries sooo hard to eat with us. She pulls things over, jumps out of her seat, and screams at us when we are eating. Not to mention that she puts any little crumb from the floor into her mouth even if it’s not edible. This sounds like torture, right? But there are several reasons to wait:
  1. Breastfeeding is FREE
  2. Our Pediatrician recommends waiting till 9 months
  3. Reduces risk of food allergies
  4. Reduces risk of certain adult diseases
  5. Less morbidity from gastrointestinal and other infections
So, there you have it. And don’t think her peanut size is due to no solid foods: it’s in the genes. Raegann was the same size at the same age and she started solids around 7 months. And my little Kammie sure is mighty! She is standing and cruising and can even stand on her own without support for roughly 30 seconds now! So, anyways, the first part of 2007 will be full of surprises for my little girl. She’ll get to discover how delicious life can be.

2 comments:

Demara said...

The cake looks very nice! And ya my mom breastfed me till I was 2 years old and my brother till he was 3. I think I'll stop breast feeding when my baby can walk, because I think it looks funny if they're standing up to suck...if you know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

WOW what an early walker!!

I held off on solids as long as I could. Good for you for waiting as long as you can. It really is best to wait until they are nine months. And her peanut size is perfect for her. (should I be a total hippy and say something like "go breastmilk?")

Awesome cake. I just royally sucked at the last two birthday cakes. royally sucked.