Friday, August 03, 2007

Da Da Dum Dum...

You know that sound that you hear when something really bad is about to happen? That's the sound I've been hearing this morning. Today marks the day that when I fill out my next attendance slip at church, I can no longer check the box next to "20's" for my age group. Today marks the day that I am officially considered old in the eyes of those who are younger than me. I know a lot of people dread this day or often feel depressed or sad. I really don't feel any of those emotions. It's not like I'm totally excited either, though. I am looking forward to being spoiled tonight and tomorrow by my friends and family. But really, it's just a number. I don't feel like I am crossing over the hill quite yet. I still feel young and look young (if you don't look too closely at the wrinkles surrounding my eyes!) It is weird, though. Do you all know that country song, Strawberry Wine by Deana Carter? Well there's this verse in there: "I still remember when thirty was old..." It is so darn true. The closer you get to thirty, the more you realize that it really isn't that old; but way back in your teen and early twenties you thought that when someone hit thirty, they may as well go and put a deposit down on a plot. I vividly remember when I was somewhere around eight years old and our new next door neighbor came over to introduce herself and her four year old son. My parents chatted with her for a while and then my dad asked her how old she was. She replied thirty-two and to that my dad responded, "oh, you're still a baby!" I remember thinking what the heck is my dad talking about? She is no baby and she's not even young...in fact she's so old she even has a four year old! But now I have friends who are in their mid-thirties and they don't seem a day older than I feel. So age really doesn't matter now does it? Okay everyone, now go ahead and give me a good age bashing!

Oh, and before I forget...I had my prenatal appointment on Monday! My Midwife came over to my house and mostly I just updated all my paperwork and insurance info. We talked about how I have been feeling, and she offered the option for me to start giving myself B6 shots again. I passed on them though, cause if this pregnancy follows the same pattern as the other two, then I should be feeling better in about a week or two. Then she took an external measurement of my uterus and confirmed my due date. She read back over the birth details for Rae and Kammie and said she thinks this one should be pretty similar: No warning, hard labor starts, then 3.5 hours later I'll have a baby in my arms. Well, that's what I'm used to, so I know I can do it again! My next appointment is at the end of the month and hopefully I'll get to hear that little heart beat!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, do you have other friends in their mid thirties with kids or is that me? 32, o.k 33 next month, isn't mid by the way, maybe it is to a young chick like you! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Z-Mama said...

Not you Sara...you're still early thirties. I was thinkin more about the people we hang out with at church sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from one of your "young" friends (28) :) Can't wait to hear about all the wonderful food and desserts you'll get tonight. Is your mom making a special cake for you?

Chastity said...

So you're 30?? No one thinks that's old anymore...unless you're 12...but they think 25 is old too.

Demara said...

I will not have a 4 year old at 30, will I still be considered older if I don't!? I wonder???

I'm 3 years younger than you and still people think I'm 18!!! What's worst I wonder? Being treated like your a teenager when you could be their parent, or being treated like a parent when you ARE a teenager??? hmmm...*thinking*

Good for you Zandra, for having 3 kids and hitting the wonderful 30!

I admire Mothers.

Some days I want kids and some days I don't.

Today, I don't! :)

Probably b/c I don't have a "real" mother anymore...well since my brother stabbed and beat her and all. It just makes me insomnia sad to think of MY family, so why should I bring kids into that, right?

Have a wonderful birthday with family and friends!
Love ya!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. What kind of friend am I? I completely forgot to call you today. I'm so sorry. Well let me speak from experience.... (I've got 7 months on ya) I don't feel old either, although I sometimes forget things!! Nonetheless, 30 is a good age to be, because we're not kids anymore, but we're not collecting our SS checks either. So have a wonderful day, enjoy the pampering!! Happy Birthday Zandra!!
Love,
Trisha Lynn

Jennifer said...

Welcome to the 30's club!

L&D said...

30. Bah, it's nothin'. And you're a total babe.

But the whole have a baby in your arms 3.5 hours after the start of labor.....hunny....I want to kill you. :) Not fair.

Shannon said...

Donnie joins the thirty club this week too. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! and it isn't old, but as I get closer to thirty it does feel a little strange.


All my labors were different so who knows what I'll get this time. My friend has the same thing but also goes overdue. I mentioned that for each day she went overdue she was knocking off a couple hours of labor. The misery equates.

Z-Mama said...

Yup...I've gone at least a week over with both the girls, so perhaps that is the trick!