Vaccinating. A controversial topic. Everyone assumes that I don't vaccinate since I have homebirths, but with Rae and Kams I've had them both vaccinated according to the CDC recommended schedule. I'd tell people when they asked that if I actually did the research that I probably would decide not to vaccinate, but I just had not taken the time. I spent so much time researching to find the safest and healthiest way to give birth, but had not spent the time to research any further beyond that. I guess I felt burnt out. But now I have actually done some research, and to my earlier suspicions, I will not be vaccinating Evie.
Well, I shouldn't say NOT. I have found a compromise. I will not be vaccinating her until after her 2nd birthday. So to all of you who may argue that vaccines save lives, I am not arguing that fact. But the advancements of medicine have come a long way, and if one of the diseases which we vaccinate against were to be contracted, it is high 90-something % treatable. Autism, on the other hand, is not so easily treated as it is a neurodevelopmental disorder. The head of the CDC and the U.S. government itself has has said that childhood vaccines can contribute to the symptoms of autism. 36 injections (14 vaccines) in the first 12-24 months of life is an overwhelming amount on a small child's brain.
So, here's the middle ground..."one that at least protects your child during the crucial time of their brain development. The most rapid period of brain development begins in the third trimester of pregnancy and continues over the first two years of life. By then, brain development is 80 percent complete, so it makes sense to wait until this time to give any vaccinations."
And since various spectrum of Autism seem to run in our family, this is now where I stand. Here are the links if you'd also like to read some of the articles I've been reading:
Head of CDC Admits on CNN that Vaccines can Trigger Autism
The Dangers of Excessive Childhood Vaccinations
Vaccine-Autism Question Divides Parents, Scientists
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago

7 comments:
I'm glad to hear you're not against vaccinations entirely. Honestly, after working with lots of autistic children (all over the spectrum), if I had a history of it my family, I'd probably do the very same thing. While vaccinations may not CAUSE autism, some of the things many of the vaccines includes does seem to trigger it to show itself. So, maybe it'll come out anyway, and maybe it won't, but I think you're using the "better safe than sorry" method, and I respect that.
aw Z that is so interesting. I had no idea about this. Thanks for the info!
I'm curious what do the asterisks beside some blog links mean?
It isn't necessarily the vaccines themselves as well, Autism has now been directly linked (by health agencies) to the preservative that had been used in them, as well as the possibility of the combination vaccines. I am so glad you did your research, but also glad you see that there are healthy and sutable ways to vaccinate from diseases that kill so many people.
Hi Caryl! I had no idea you ever read my blog...what a surprise! And I'm so happy to see you've started your own, I'll definitely be visiting!
Anyways, I am also aware of the effects of Thimerosal, the mercury preservative. Unfortunately, it IS still in use, especially in the Flu Vaccine, which has now been added to the CDC's recommended vaccination schedule - as a YEARLY injection!
I struggled so much with whether or not to vaccinate Garrett. I did tons of research, prayed about it a great deal, and consulted a family member who works in the medical field. I knew she would tell me the truth. She works with a lot of children who are not vaccinated because the parents can't afford it, etc. She provided me with statistics about how sick the children can get if they contract many of the diseases, etc. In her opinion it was 100% necessary to vaccinate. I also spoke with my doctor at length about it. Finally I decided to have Garrett vaccinated but I made them spread some of the vaccines out over a couple of months. Of course, I had to make extra trips to the doctor's office but obviously that was worth it to me. I definitely respect your decision. For me it was a difficult choice to make. Once I was given the statistics from my family member though, I just felt I needed to vaccinate. (And then I prayed and prayed and prayed that Garrett would not end up with autism.)
just make sure your vaccines don't have heavy metals in them...that's the poison that crates autism.
The thing is, by waiting too long you are opening a can of worms for your child to catch something that they are trying to specifically prevent in the early stages of life because the results are huge if they get it so young.
The internet is the greatest and worst thing when it comes to information. In the end, I think vaccines are worth the risk. I like to wait until my child starts showing personality, so that I can watch for changes. I do spread them out a little too.
I don't think the government is secretly covering a huge scandal.
Post a Comment