My whole day revolved around this much anticipated night out. My mom came over in the morning to dress the girls while I took a shower (I’ll tell ya, is sure is hard to squeeze in a nice shower without a little help – I mean a full shower where I get to shave my legs and everything!). Then we headed to Sara’s house to have a couple hours of girl time and coffee along with Heidi and Sara’s neighbor, Amy. Very nice and relaxing. Then after lunch time we headed back home so I could get the girls a nap before dropping them off with my mom. During this time I rushed to start getting ready. Plugged in the flat iron to get steamed up. Opened my makeup bag and arranged it all on the countertop so I could easily see each piece. Carefully selected one of my most flattering casual outfits considering that it might be slightly chilly in an outdoor concert. When I had finished fixing myself up, I walked down to Kerri’s house to add a couple finishing touches… beaded necklace, earrings, cowgirl hat. Ahhh, I was complete…and it was only 5:00…still a half hour to spare. Then Kerri made us a cocktail to get started: Rum and Coke.
Now, it’s been a while since I’ve drank. I mean, I enjoy an occasional ma
rgarita or glass of wine from time to time, but it’s been quite a while since I’ve lost my sense of self-control. And even then, it’s only happened a couple times. When I was young. Very young. And I was peer-pressured into it…and and and…okay, okay, it was by my own bad choices…Anyways, we proceeded to have two (very strong) rum & cokes within a half hour time before we had to leave. By the time we got to my parent’s house – 5 minutes away – I was feeling very loosey goosey, and was already acting pretty silly. And then on the ride down Kerri and I were pr
etty silly together. Feelin’ good…innocent enough, right? Well, the alcohol kept doin its magic and I became more and more intoxicated. I’m sure we were more than just a little bit annoying to our sober driver, Marshall. Halfway there we stopped at In-N-Out for dinner. By the time I got my food, I was pretty well tossed. Boy did it come on like a train and crash hard. I devoured my food and we continued our trek toward the concert. Not long after I was complaining of feeling sick. The greasy food and drive down the freeway was not mixing well with the alcohol in my belly. Soon stomach pains and sickness overcame all my attempts to feel fine, and I leaned my head out the window and let loose. All over the rear end of Kerri’s Jeep. The cars behind us soon thought it better than to follow so closely. I felt like I was in a glass bubble. I could hear and see everything that was going on around me but was helpless to do anything about it. I could hear Kerri…she thought I was going to get it out of me and feel better. We pulled into the parking lot and they told me to be careful of the parking attendant. I am sure they hurried us on as quickly as they could. We probably could have gotten the best spot there if we asked, just to get the stinky car and me, the ticking time bomb, quickly away from them. Kerri and Marshall went ahead while Brandon stayed behind praying that I’d snap out of it. I leaned out with my arm resting against the door and my body limp while I continued to empty my stomach. I think that lasted about 45 minutes and finally Brandon realized there was nothing to do but to take me home. He told me to lean back in and shut the door. At that moment when I moved I felt as though I could die. I remember praying that I would live through this and thinking that I felt so weak that I thought my heart couldn’t even beat another beat. I gathered all my strength just to be able to tell Brandon that I thought I needed an ambulance. He told me I’d be fine… “I
know, it feels like your gonna die…” I don’t even remember the drive back, maybe I slept. We arrived back at my parent’s house and my mom had a spot set up for me – pillows, blankets, and a pan if I felt the urge to vomit again. I lay down and thought I was going into shock. I felt colder than I could ever remember and was shivering almost violently. Brandon put some nice warm socks on me and soon I faded off to sleep. My champ of a husband then washed the car, filled it with gas, and headed back to the concert only in time for it to be over and to pick Kerri and Marshall up and head right back home.Oh, what fun! I just keep thinking, “I can’t believe we paid all that money for nothing.” What went wrong? Why was it that Kerri and I drank the same amount and only I got alcohol poisoning? Is it because it’s been so long since I’ve had more than one drink in a night? Oh well, I don’t get it. Now I am just left with feelings of regret and sadness. And although they didn’t want to tell me, Kerri and Marshall let it slip that it was the best concert they have ever been too. Nice. I mean I am happy for them that they had fun, but…I totally need another night out. Another attempt to have a fun adult night without the kids. One that I can remember fun and fond memories of. Any ideas? Too bad, we’re broke now anyways. I’ll just have to sulk and feel sorry for myself for a while.

5 comments:
no booze for you honey. Sorry to hear about your night I hope the next one is better.:)
Oh Zandra, you poor thing. But I have to say your story made me crack up. You looked great in the few pictures you got to take before. I'm sure there will be many more nights out so don't worry about it too much.
Ok, I know it is not nice to laugh at someone when they are in pain, but I am seriously rolling on the floor! I even had to call Matt in to share the story and we were both rolling on the floor. Sorry you didn't get the memories you were looking for, but don't be mistaken...you definitely had a night that was memorable!
I have never been to a concert.
poor Z. man that stinks! Hope you're feeling a little better about it now.
Post a Comment