Thursday, January 03, 2008

Relaxing Day?

Yesterday was supposed to be my "relaxing" day in the midst of chaos. Shouldn't I know by now not to plan things out, cause when you do they just don't seem to go your way. Especially when you throw a three & a half and a one & a half year old into the mix.

Well, as organized and prepared as I am, I still hadn't booked myself an appointment to get my hair trimmed and brows waxed. So in the morning I called and luckily they were able to squeeze me in at 4. I had the two little ones till 3...perfect. Now I just needed to find someone to help me with my two girls so I could enjoy going to the salon. Unfortunately it wasn't happening. All my resources were either working or already busy. Oh! Step back a bit...our septic went out the night before, so Bran had already spent many hours trying to fix that problem...okay, so since he had gotten a late start to work, it wasn't looking good that he'd be home early to help out with the girls either. But there was no way that I was canceling that appointment. I decided that if worse came to worse, I'd just have to take them with me. Fine, no big deal.

Then I moved on to attempt to squeeze in making 5 batches of buttercream for the cake while simultaneously watching 4 girls. Well, I made two before getting a call from Bran that the people who were interested in the car had a cashier's check in their hand. So I dropped what I was doing, put all the girls down for naps, and headed out to my car to give it a once-over. Got out my CDs and a few other hidden items. Re-vaccumed and dusted it and gave it a quick bath. Boy she looked beautiful. Next thing you know, the two babies are crying, Bran gets home, and the car buyers pull up...all at the. same. time. I greet Bran, get the babies out and set them up with chee.rieos and sippy cups, then follow Bran out to talk to the buyers and sign the Bi.ll of Sa.le. I love my baby and am so proud of her that I have to show these people every neat thing about her...either they were totally bugged by me or maybe they were appreciative. I will pretend the latter, although at one point the guy said "well, we can just flip through the owner's manual" probably to shut me up! So I watch out through the window of the living room as my baby is driven away by someone other than me...I was a little teary eyed, but happy at the same time. Then I proceeded to make bottles for the babies and a sandwich for Bran. I then leave Bran in charge and make a quick dash for the bank since I know a check of that amount will be required to be put on a hold and we need the money available ASAP. All in all, about an hour later after the buyers had left I get a call from the girl, "Um, this may sound a little ironic, but we just stopped to get gas and now the car won't start." Hu. Ironic indeed. I proceed to run through possible reasons such as was the car in park, did the steering wheel get in a locked position, was the alarm accidentally set, etc. No, no, no. Luckily they were at a gas station in town, so I send Bran off to meet them and try to figure out what the problem is. Another hour goes by and now it's 3:00. Babies get picked up and still no word from Bran. I call and he says they are still trying to figure it out. Lovely. All I can think is that they are gonna renege and ask for their check back - and I had already deposited it. I still have no sitter for the girls, so I go get them up from their naps (which I suspected Rae did not nap at all since I found her playing with a baby doll on her bed) and gather a backpack each full of toys and snacks to keep them occupied. We head out and I stop at the gas station to check up on the progress of the car. Apparently the battery was completely dead and Bran had to run up to the auto place to get a new one. Really, why couldn't this have happened like a week later when we then could feel that we weren't responsible for it? So now it's 4:00 and by the time he would finish, it would be too late for Bran to go back out to work so he tells me that he'll come pick up the girls when he's done. I venture into the salon with two children in tow praying that they behave, which luckily they do. It was only 10 or 15 minutes later when Bran showed up. Thank the Lord! I finally got my chance to relax. For an hour and a half...pure bliss. Then back to reality. Bran fed the girls, granted it was take out, but they were fed nonetheless and I was very thankful. I proceeded to finish the other three batches of buttercream and then decide at 7:30 that I was going to put the girls to bed. Normally we start the bedtime routine at 8:00. I was thrilled when I was done putting them both down by 7:50! Bran and I then decided to celebrate the sale of the car (and I was looking forward to more relaxing) by ordering take-out sushi and watching The Bourne Ultimatum. Everything went smoothly until we were about 10 minutes into the movie. Rae woke up crying. I went to soothe her and went back to the movie...only to be interrupted about 10 more times with crying episodes. It was then apparent that my guess was correct that she indeed had not slept during nap time. She HAS TO have a 2-3 hour nap every day otherwise she ends up overtired and has these sleep issues at night. It happens every time. Well, we finally got through the movie around 11:00 and headed to bed. I slept like a rock other than the three other times my sweet little Rae came in to wake me up so she could go potty...and beg for some cuddle time.

So obviously yesterday was not the easy, semi-relaxing day I had hoped for. But at least I've survived and today is Thursday. I've even already baked the chocolate tiered cake. Plans are to fill & frost it this afternoon and bake the two strawberry sheet cakes tonight. Luckily my cake-making partner-in-crime is helping me immensely by doing the two white sheet cakes with chocolate mousse filling and buttercream frosting. I don't know what I'd have done otherwise!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a busy girl! I'm glad the car sale went well and you were able to enjoy the salon. You need to post some more belly pics so I can see progress. I have to get Matt to upload our end of December pic (right after we take it! we are so bad about that kind of thing!) so you can see how big I am.

Stay focused and remember to have fun at all of those parties you are helping to prepare!

Love,
Jennifer (sorry it shows up anonymous...I still don't remember my log in!)

Dena said...

UGH! DOUBLE UGH!!!! I'd be in tears, curled up in my bed, shutting out the world, with fuzzy eyebrows, tattered hair, I'd order a cake from the grocery store and go to bed ignoring my kids crying! You are a better woman than I!!!!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Again you are a big stud!!! We watched the Borne Ultimatum that night too...loved it.