Sunday, March 09, 2008

Evelyn's Birth Story

***Warning!*** Very long post with some graphic details to follow!***

After visiting Diane for my appointment on Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, we returned home and Raegann, Kammie, and I all took a nap. I felt so tired that day and I can’t remember the last time that I had taken a nap. It was a good one too – about two whole hours! Later in the evening we ate leftovers (stuffed chicken breast & artichokes) and then the girls and I headed off to a bath – all of us together. After the girls got out, I relaxed for a few minutes on my own. Brandon got the girls in their jammies, and then we put them to bed shortly after.

Marshall came up around 9:00 and he and Brandon hung out for a little while and I cleaned up the kitchen. At about 9:30 we all went into the office to start working on putting together some invoices. Marshall left around 10:00 and Brandon and I continued to work. At about 10:15 I told Brandon I had to stop cause I felt a little different and needed to take a break to see exactly what I was feeling. I called Kerri and told her “I could go into labor tonight!” I started walking around the house to see if I could feel anything else, but nothing really happened, so I went back into the office and finished up the invoices with Brandon. I started feeling my back ache again while we were finishing around 10:40 and stood up to walk around again. I felt it again this time about five minutes later and that time I was sure – a definite contraction.

I told Brandon that I was pretty sure that this was it and that I was in labor. He got the biggest smile and gave me a big hug and kiss and told me he was so excited that he was going to meet his baby tonight. Brandon picked up the room and I changed the sheets. Brandon started making phone calls around 11:15, first to Diane who wanted to know how far apart and how long in duration the contractions were coming. I took a shower, and Brandon grabbed the timer. 3-5 minutes apart and 45 seconds long. He called Diane back and she said she was on her way. Then he continued to make the calls to the rest of the family to let them all know that it was time. Everyone’s reaction to the 11:30pm call was the same: “so, do you think this is it? Should we come over now?” I told Brandon, “tell them YES, get over here!” Everyone started arriving about 30 min later.

I was able to talk to everyone as they arrived and walk around still for a while and stand through the contractions while I focused on my breathing. At about 12:30 I decided that I couldn’t stand up through any more contractions, and that’s when I finally crawled onto the bed and laid on my right side. Brandon laid down facing me and held my hand through each contraction. They were all still very manageable; I just concentrated on my breathing and letting go. I paid particular attention to making sure that I was not tense – my face was relaxed, my hands were not clenched and my lower body/uterus was not straining.

Then at about 1:00/1:15 I started going through transition. This is when I called up my support for action. Jessica pushed on my lower back as hard as she could through each successive contraction while Jan held my feet. It was harder to remain limp through this stage. This lasted about fifteen minutes when I began to have the urge to push. Diane came in and checked me and said she could feel the baby’s head. I then rolled from my right side onto my back with a bunch of pillows supporting my semi-reclined position. Diane was at my right knee and Brandon was at my left. I held my thighs through the next few pushing contractions. Then I lost the mucous plug.

This is where it got a little sticky (no pun intended!)…just momentarily. Although I felt like I was pushing and that her head should have been ready to pop out, there was suddenly no progress. Diane had to check me again. My cervix was tilted back, which meant that with each push, her head had nowhere to go. Diane had to manually pull my cervix forward and then baby came down just a little. The bag of waters was still intact, so she decided it was time to help it along, so she broke the bag. I can’t believe the gush that went everywhere! But in an instant the head was in place and the “ring of fire” began burning. On my very next push her head was out! Then I pushed again and nothing…we were stalled again. It seems that my cervix was still not cooperating and therefore this time her shoulders got stuck. Diane had to help that along by reaching past her head and neck and pushing up on one side of her shoulders. Everyone said it seemed to take forever, but then on the next push Evelyn Jane Elizabeth was out and in Brandon’s arms at 1:50 am on Wednesday morning the fifth of March. Oh, instant relief! He gently placed her face down on my belly and I was one happy and tired mama! She barely made a peep and was so content from the very moment of her birth.

Everyone commented on how she looked just like a cross between Raegann and Kamryn, and that perhaps she even looked a lot like me…how she has my nose and my eyes…maybe Brandon’s chin and hairline. But everyone did agree that she is perfectly adorable! Then Brandon cut the cord, Diane delivered the placenta, and everyone went out to give us time alone with our newest little bundle. We took about fifteen minutes to just coo over her and pray together.

Everyone came back in and gushed over her some more. I was given a juice box and half of a banana. About fifteen to thirty minutes later Diane and her assistant Aimee did the newborn check. They washed her up a little and looked over her tiny body. They checked her fontanels and her pulse and respiratory rate. They measured her length – 20.5 inches. Then they got a pillowcase, put her inside and weighed her the old fashioned way – 8 pounds, 4 ounces. She is exactly in between Raegann and Kamryn’s birth weights and lengths (Rae was 9-4, 21 inches and Kamryn was 7-4, 20 inches)! I guessed that she would fall somewhere in between, but I didn’t think it’d be exactly in the middle! Then they handed her back to me and everyone slowly trickled out and headed back home and into their beds. I don’t think I slept but maybe an hour that night…although I was so worn out and exhausted, I was on such a high that I just couldn’t take my eyes off my little Evie.

When Raegann came in our room in the morning, I said “look who came out last night – Baby Evie!” and Raegann got the biggest smile on her face and looked at her and pet her face so gently and commented on how tiny her little ears were. Then she asked where Kerri’s Baby Luke was and I had to explain to her that he’s not quite ready to come out of her yet. Then she went out to play with Grammie Jannie who had spent the night. When Kammie came in and we told her that Baby Evie came out, she just repeated us inquisitively “Baby Evie came out?” and then all she could think about was holding her! My parents came back over to make us breakfast. Jan made bacon and scrambled eggs with cheese, while my parents made biscuits and cheese blintz crepes topped with strawberries. I think the next morning with a huge delicious breakfast is always my favorite part!

I can’t believe how incredibly blessed I feel and couldn’t be more thankful to the Lord for every one of our precious gifts! My cup is indeed overflowing!

5 comments:

Chastity said...

What a special story :). I'm so happy that you're so grateful for your blessings!!

ⒿⒶⓃⓔⓉ said...

Congratulations Brown Family. God is so Good to us!

The Paulsens said...

You are a real champ and I'm glad everything worked out so wonderfully. I can't wait to see more pictures.

Love you and miss you!

Dena said...

oh my goodness, what a great story! I loved that you gave all the details. If anybody ever wanted to have their baby at home, you just made them feel SO comfortable about it. Congratulations! She's beautiful, just like her Mama. :o)

Demara said...

Oh Z-Mama, that is truly a blessed story, and I'm so happy there were not "really" any complications! It's great you had all that support there, too!!!