Monday, April 14, 2008

I'm an Aunt!

I am finally an Aunt at the ripe old age of 30! It seems like everyone else I know has been an Aunt or an Uncle for years...and now I finally get to experience the same joy! So, Kerri started labor early Friday morning with manageable contractions. She had a doc appt where she found out that she was 3 cm dilated. She came home for a while and the contractions got more intense. Then they headed to the hospital at about 9:30. I called my mom to come spend the night with the girls (including little Evie) and Bran & I left at 10:00. KK was at 5 cm when they checked her in and soon us and the rest of the family from both sides were there. We all camped out in the waiting room and occasionally would sit in the room with KK and Marshall while she labored. At a little after 3 am the doc came in and sent everyone out so she could start to push. At 3:57 am on April 12th little Luke Ryan was born! It was so amazing to suddenly hear those first cries while we were waiting out in hallway! About 45 min later we were all allowed to come in and meet the little guy (and congratulate the new parents too)! I am already in love with my new nephew! After about an hour of gushing over him we all headed out and Bran and I went to breakfast at Denny's with his parents and Lianne & Sean. For some reason being up all night makes you hungry at a time when you'd normally be sleeping. I think we got home just before 7 am and then I was able to nurse Evie and then sleep til 10. Oh, and my mom gave Evie a bottle one time at 2 am for her first time and she had absolutely no problem with it! Anyways, needless to say we were all exhausted that day! Luckily my mom rocks and when Rae and Kams woke up she whisked them off to her house until their nap time. I don't know what I would have done without her!

I haven't talked about the problem I been having this time around with nursing. I mean Evie is nursing like a champ, but we have (or hopefully had) thrush. It is horrible. Luckily it really doesn't seem to bother her and it has really only concentrated itself on her lips. We just keep passing it back and forth because I will experience serious burning pain all day one day and then the next day or two I'll feel normal and then it'll be back again. Ugh. I've been taking probiotics and eating yogurt so hopefully it'll clear up on its own without the help of a doctor. I'm crossing my fingers that it really is on it's way out this time since I've felt great for probably three days now. I've also read something about gentian violet so I'm gonna try to find it somewhere to have on hand in case I need it.

Evie is almost 6 weeks and for the last week she has really started smiling a lot. She is very alert and takes everything in. She is so strong already and loves to be held upright facing out so she can see what's going on. She barely fits into her "newborn" size clothes cause she is just getting too long. She sleeps wonderfully at night- five hours straight, nurses, and then another five straight hours, nurses, then I bring her to bed with me for just a couple more hours of sleep. Naps are at least an hour each and recently they've been extending to even one 2 or 3 hour nap in the afternoon. She is so precious...and those smiles, oh, they just melt me! I only wish I could catch a good one to share!

Oh, and I think Kammie is potty training herself! I haven't really pushed the issue since I knew just having a new baby would be a big transition, but she has been going pee pee on the potty at least once per day for the past few days. And she always tells us right when she goes in her diaper - she hates how it feels!


Welcome little LUKE RYAN!


I just loved this one of the Grandmas!


Only hours old.


Already admiring his Auntie!


Little cousins Luke and Evie.



Raegann and Kammie meeting their little cousin for the first time.


Here's a smile!


Today was hot enough for a swim!


Miles sneaking a nap in the girl's princess chair.


9 comments:

Ester said...

The little cousins are adorable. Congrats to the whole family. Luke is going to have to hold his own with three girl cousins nearby :)

Shannon said...

how sweet and wonderful. What is the weight differance??


GV can be found at the healthfoodstore. Some of my friends swear by it. But it does stain purple whatever it touches (totally worth it from what I hear) I'm sorry you're dealing with it.

Anonymous said...

I thought I heard you guys splashing around when I came to see Kerri yesterday!... I didn't even realize you had never been an aunt!! Exciting! I love little Luke sooo much! And Evie looks soo darn cute I love her smile!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chastity said...

Congratulations on becoming a first-time aunt! I'd love to be an aunt, but it looks like no one in our families are in a hurry to start a family right now.

The Paulsens said...

Congrats to the growing family! Everyone looks wonderful. Bad news about the thrush - I'll keep you in my thoughts that it clears up for good as I've heard it is not fun.

Demara said...

Wow you've been busy! and how much did Luke weigh?
I'm so glad to hear about your girl's progress. (Kammie and her potty training and Evie's sleeping schedule.) woohoo!!

Anonymous said...

Love it!!

L&D said...

OH YAY for being an auntie. Congrats!