I was given an Amish Friendship Bread Starter by my parents about two weeks ago. I made my two loaves and four additional starters - one for myself and three to pass along. That stuff is a curse! It seems that this friendship bread has already made it's way into everyone's kitchen in my little town. Everyone at church already has one. It just multiplies so darn fast! So it seems that I am stuck with all four starters. Now what?
I looked up Amish Bread Starter online and it seems that it isn't only the Amish who know the secret to making the starter! The starter is actually super simple. So the thought of throwing my starters out don't sound so bad...and I won't feel so guilty. But wait. Then I just looked up Amish Bread and all kinds of recipes came up! All you need is one cup of the starter for most of the recipes! So it looks like I will be able to use my starters after all! Instead of adding so much to the starters on days 5 and 10, I only need to "feed" them just a little as long as the flour, sugar, and milk are all in equal proportions. On day 10 I can use all my starters for delicious recipes such as cinnamon - which is the recipe that came with mine, banana, chocolate chocolate chip, and lemon poppy seed. Then I'll freeze them to enjoy later. I also read that you can freeze the starter for use later. Just thaw and then go on as usual.
You can mail the starter too...
So, anyone interested?
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago

4 comments:
It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'd ever actually do anything with it.
How in thw orld would yo mail it?!?!?! Isn't it a liquid?
haha no thanks! I suck at baking, cooking and the like. The kitchen thing that I'm best at is: stacking the shelves it seems. :(
i ended up throwing away 2 of mine before we left on vacation, but the one i gave to my neighbor is now multiplying and i know she's planning on giving me one of her's. 2 loaves every 10 days is just too much for my little family. i wouldn't feel guilty for throwing them away.
Post a Comment