Tuesday morning, September 1st, I woke up and, just like the previous few days, I thought “today could be the day!” Brandon and I got up and got ready and I even told Brandon that this may be the last day he would see my pregnant belly. I decided that the entire house needed to be vacuumed, so I spent a good chunk of time having the girls pick up their toys and I vacuumed the floors. When Brandon got home for lunch, I had to go up to Raegann’s school as I had a conference scheduled with her new teacher to talk about what we could expect and what would be expected of us when doing home schooling. The teacher was surprised to see me as I had told her the week prior that this would just be a “tentative” meeting since I was so close to being due. After the conference I decided to hit up the grocery store just in case this was the last chance I’d get before the baby came. After checking out the checker asked if I’d like help out, in which I replied, “Oh, no thank you.” And she gave me a concerned look and said, “Are you sure???” and I said, “Oh, I’ll be fine…I need something to help me get labor started anyways!” The whole time running errands I did feel like I had to waddle a bit…he felt low to me, something that I hadn’t felt yet. That afternoon, Raegann and Kamryn both fell asleep and took quite a long nap. It is unusual since neither of them take naps anymore and haven’t in about a year. When little Evie woke up I decided to take her into the pool to cool off. Sure enough, Kammie and Raegann woke up shortly after and joined us. My girls and I had the best time in the pool together that evening. We were all still sitting in the spa when Brandon came out and told us good-bye on his way to play baseball. I told him to keep his phone close because we could be having a baby soon. I can’t put my finger on exactly what made me think that he could be coming, but for some reason I felt a little bit different. When we got out of the pool, I fixed a quick and easy dinner of dino nuggets and had Evie to bed by 7:40 and Rae and Kams in bed shortly after.
I just felt weird, so I decided to take a walk outside around the house. Then when I came in, I picked up a few toys, cleaned up dinner, and THUNK. I felt this sort of “thud” or “pop” or “punch” in my pelvic floor and then a small gush at 8:00 pm. I called my midwife Diane to let her know as I went in and sat on the toilet. She asked if my water broke, and I said I thought so. I stood up to look in the toilet and saw a slight bit of pink, and as I did, I had some more water come out. I was on the phone with her this whole time so she got the play by play. She said she was going to call her assistant and then call me back in ten minutes to check on my progress. In the meantime I called Brandon, who was still at baseball, and the rest of the family and a few friends. I began getting things in order…made the birth bed (a plastic drop cloth under the regular sheets), got in my gown, etc. When Diane called back, I still had not yet had any contractions, so this time she asked me to call her once they started. Then people started arriving and I got a little distracted. Raegann and Kammie of course were not asleep yet and came out of their room as soon as people started showing up. They were so excited to see their family, and little Kammie thought everyone was coming over just to spend the night! I did finally start feeling contractions probably around 8:20. In all the commotion, I didn’t call Diane back till about 8:30. She told me she was just finishing up dinner and would be leaving in 10 minutes. So my contractions came steadily and a few family members began timing them…30-45 seconds long and 2 minutes apart…consistently. I didn’t get much break between them and it wasn’t long before I couldn’t stand up through them, so I began to labor for a while sitting on the floor. Shortly after, I could tell I was going through transition and I asked Brandon to call Diane. She could hear me moaning through her end of the phone and said she was still 15 minutes away. She told Brandon to tell me not to push! About 10 minutes later, that urge to push started coming on. I stayed sitting on the floor and thankfully Diane arrived and I moved right to the bed. It was only about two or three contractions later that my body just took over and pushed without my control. I could feel the burning and I’m not sure exactly how many pushes, but little Weston came out awfully quickly! He was born at 9:56 pm!!! Diane’s assistant arrived about ten minutes later, so my Mother in Law, Jan acted as her assistant through the delivery, holding my leg and handing her the hot washcloths. Brandon held my other leg and after Diane delivered Weston’s head, Brandon delivered the rest of his body and handed the little guy over to me and onto my chest. Although, before he handed him over, Daddy got a good look and proudly announced that Weston indeed was a boy! It was definitely a very quick, although very intense labor and delivery! Thankfully I have very elastic skin, and despite how quickly he arrived, and the fact that his head is slightly larger than average, I had no tearing and required no stitches! About an hour after delivery, Diane and her assistant came in to do the stats…8 pounds 8 ounces and 20.5 inches long. A little bit of curly brown hair and he has Raegann’s nose and mouth. We think he might look like my dad, but it’s still a little hard to tell! He’s an absolute angel and we are enjoying our son so so much! We thank the Lord for our little blessing!
Last Preggo Pic
Contraction (& my support group in the background)
congrats to the family. I love reading about homebirths I have only done it once and would love to do it many more times if the Lord changes Greg's mind about more children. Enjoy your blessing. Marcy Smith
I am a stay-at-home mom and couldn't feel more blessed! My husband works very hard so I don't have to (thanks Bran!). My children, Rae, Kammie, Evie, and Wes mean just the world to me. I am also in love with Jesus!
7 comments:
OH congrats, congrats! How wonderful your L&D went so fast. Well done. Enjoy your handsome boy.
thanks for posting the birth story. as always, you look radiant giving birth :) can't wait to meet him!
you're amazing! No tearing no stitches??? wow you make it look and sound incredibly easy. Lucky bum!!
And Congrats on the family of 6!!
Marvelous story with a happy ending. Congratulations. Bless your family.(Heidi's mom))
you do make this whole ordeal look easy!!
congrats on such a wonderful little boy.
(wah, all these babies are really making me want more!)
congrats to the family.
I love reading about homebirths I have only done it once and would love to do it many more times if the Lord changes Greg's mind about more children. Enjoy your blessing.
Marcy Smith
Just want to congratulate you on your growing family! Marilyn Oaks
Post a Comment